South Loop

The south Loop includes Printers’ Row, Dearborn Park and South Michigan Avenue south to Cermak, and stretches a few blocks west to the River and Canal Street, taking in the unique River City complex on the banks of the Chicago River.

The South Loop offers everything from raw to chic loft spaces, new construction town homes, and high rise apartments. Quite a few artists live and work here: the galleries and production studios along South Michigan and Wabash prove it. It’s also the home of Columbia College; the School of the Art Institute is nearby to the north; and a main attraction at the south end is Chicago’s Chinatown.

City of Chicago Vehicle Stickers

All Chicago residents driving, parking, leasing and/or owning a vehicle for which they are responsible in the City of Chicago are subject to the Chicago Wheel Tax and must purchase a Chicago City Vehicle Sticker. This includes Chicago residents that maintain their registration outside of the City of Chicago, but use the vehicle in the City. We want motorists to avoid costly tickets: You must purchase a Chicago Vehicle Sticker within 30 days of residing in the City or acquiring a new vehicle to avoid late fees and fines.

Click Here for more details.

Residential Parking Permits

Chicago’s Residential Parking Permit program is designed to restrict parking on designated residential streets during specified hours, except for the residents of that street, guests of the residents or those who provide a service to the residents. This program helps to ensure that residents of densely populated areas have reasonable access to parking near their residences. Cars parked in violation of this ordinance are ticketed.

The City of Chicago does not mess around. The city has a dillignet parking patrol staff that will ticket you if you are in a spot where a permit you don’t have is required. All spots that require permits are marked with white street signs. Please look out for them!

For more information, contact the city clerk at 312-744-6861 or email We also recommend that you ask your Real Estate Agent, Leasing Agent, or Land Lord about parking permit requirements in your area.