South Barrington

The Village of South Barrington lies in the southeastern portion of Barrington Township with a small portion in western Palatine Township. This Cook County village is 30 miles northwest of the Chicago Loop. It is a genteel mix of corporate activity along with estate-sized homes situated on sprawling acres. It strives to keep old farm buildings by converting them into thriving businesses and is also home to Goebbert’s Pumpkin Farm Market with its silo topped by a large, fiberglass pumpkin.

Metra commuter trains are easily accessible from the nearby village of Barrington and reach the Chicago Loop in 46 minutes. For those who drive, access to Interstate 90 provides easy highway travel to Chicago and O’Hare International Airport.

The Audubon Society of Chicago received a parcel of land in 1976 which became the Stillman Nature Center, a private preserve. South Barrington also has 45 private lakes and ponds, maintaining a tranquil setting in the middle of a growing commercial area. It is also home to one of the largest non-denominational churches in the country, Willow Creek Community Church.

The South Barrington Park District provides many programs including aquatics, sports, fitness, adult, teen, and pre-school programs. Community events include the annual Pet Parade and Halloween Costume Contest.

Programs are also offered for children and adults at the Public Library, such as story times, book discussions, and coffee houses. The school children attend the excellent Unit District 220 schools, and there are four Catholic schools as well in the immediate area.

South Barrington History

“The South Barrington area was still agricultural into the 1950’s. A group of property owners decided to form a village in 1959 called Barrington Countryside so that they could change the zoning laws to allow for quarter-acre lots. Another group of residents fought against the movement and succeeded in getting the necessary papers to incorporate as the Village of South Barrington ahead of the others. Zoning laws were eventually changed to allow a new minimum lot size of one and a half acres.

William Rose founded the Barrington Construction Company in 1959 which built the three subdivisions of Sunset Ridge Farms, The Cove, and The Glen. He also built the corporate offices of the Rose Packing Company in 1973 and used farm buildings to construct the Millrose Brewing Company which houses a restaurant and store. Hoffman Estates started to annex land adjacent to South Barrington along the Northwest Tollway in the 1960’s. The two villages continue to battle for this land today.”

South Barrington Trivia & Fun Facts

“South Barrington-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Illinois state average. It is 62% greater than the overall U.S. average.

Median household income is significantly above state average.
Median house value is significantly above state average.
Unemployed percentage is significantly below state average.

In White Cemetery glowing orbs are seen from the road, and a phantom black car can be seen driving from the entrance of the cemetery and then disappearing a few blocks down. Also, when pictures are taken of the cemetery, they do not develop or the camera is lost.”