Mundelein is located in Central Lake County. It is only 35 miles to downtown Chicago and five miles west of Interstate 94. Chicago O’Hare International Airport is 20 miles away, and Midway International Airport is 38 miles away. Four major state highways serve the Mundelein area: Route 60, Route 83, Route 176 and Route 45.
The Metra Commuter rail service to Chicago and O’Hare International Airport is located in downtown Mundelein. Daily bus service through the village is offered by Pace. They also offer senior citizen transportation and handicapped Dial-A-Ride service.
Mundelein, known for fine golf courses, has seven public courses. Many other recreational activities can be found in the area. This includes biking, fishing, boating, ice-skating, and swimming on Diamond Lake. In addition, there are indoor and outdoor swimming pools and over 20 neighborhood parks. In January 1998 a new community center opened which is operated by the Mundelein park district.
Over 800 businesses call Mundelein home. They are mostly small to medium size companies. Mundelein is the fourth largest community in Lake County and second in the number of manufacturing firms. Businesses in Mundelein offer over 11,300 full time jobs in the area.
|Fairhaven School||634 Countryside Hwy, Mundelein, IL 60060||847-949-0991||Elementary Schools|
|Fairhaven School||634 Countryside Hwy, Mundelein, IL 60060||(847) 949-0991||Elementary Schools|
|Fremont Elementary School||28908 N Fremont Center Rd, Mundelein, IL 60060||847-837-0437||Elementary Schools|
|Fremont Elementary School||28908 N Fremont Center Rd, Mundelein, IL 60060||(847) 837-0437||Elementary Schools|
|Lincoln School||200 W Maple Ave, Mundelein, IL 60060||847-949-2722||Elementary Schools|
|Lincoln School||200 W Maple Ave, Mundelein, IL 60060||(847) 949-2722||Elementary Schools|
|Mechanics Grove Elem School||1200 N Midlothian Rd, Mundelein, IL 60060||847-949-2712||Elementary Schools|
|Mechanics Grove Elem School||1200 N Midlothian Rd, Mundelein, IL 60060||(847) 949-2712||Elementary Schools|
|Washington Elementary School||122 S Garfield Ave Mundelein, IL 60060||847-949-2714||Elementary Schools|
|Washington Elementary School||122 S Garfield Ave, Mundelein, IL 60060||(847) 949-2714||Elementary Schools|
|Carmel High School||1 Carmel Pkwy, Mundelein, IL 60060||847-566-4160||High Schools|
|Carmel High School||1 Carmel Pkwy, Mundelein, IL 60060||(847) 566-4160||High Schools|
|Mundelein High School||1350 W Hawley St, Mundelein, IL 60060||847-949-2200||High Schools|
|Mundelein High School||1350 W Hawley St, Mundelein, IL 60060||(847) 949-2200||High Schools|
|Carl Sandburg Middle School||855 W Hawley St, Mundelein, IL 60060||847-949-2707||Middle Schools|
|Carl Sandburg Middle School||855 W Hawley St, Mundelein, IL 60060||(847) 949-2707||Middle Schools|
|Diamond Lake Intermediate Schl||25807 N Diamond Lake Rd, Mundelein, IL 60060||847-566-6601||Middle Schools|
|West Oak Middle School||500 Acorn Ln Mundelein IL Mundelein||847-566-9220||Middle Schools|
Since at least 1650, Mundelein has been inhabited by the Potowatami Indians who were known to be trading with French traders. In the early 1800’s the first Europeans reached the area. The first known settler, Peter Shaddle, built a log cabin in 1835 in the area today owned by St. Mary of the Lake Seminary. The next settlers were tradesmen from England who became farmers in the area. They named the city Mechanics Grove after their former profession. These men built the first churches, schools and businesses.
The unincorporated community continued to grow and the name was changed to Holcomb. That was after John Holcomb, who was very active in the area’s development. As the city of Holcomb grew, a post office and a railway station were added. The area finally incorporated in February of 1909 under a new name, Rockefeller, in honor of John D. Rockefeller. That was short lived and in July 1909 the city was renamed Area. That name stood for Ability, Reliability, Endurance, and Action. The name was changed all because of a local educational entrepreneur Arthur Sheldon. He bought 600 acres near town and built a school on it. The school taught sales techniques and the philosophy behind “Area.” After several years the school closed.
In 1921, Archbishop George Mundelein (later George Cardinal Mundelein) of Chicago bought the land that Sheldon’s school was built on. On that same land he had St. Mary’s of the Lake Seminary constructed. Still in operation today, it has up to 400 students. The town of Area became the Village of Mundelein in 1924. It was named in honor of Cardinal Mundelein’s sponsorship of the seminary.
When the Village Hall was completed in 1929, the Cardinal thanked the community by donating their first new fire truck. The Village Hall is still in the same building today with only a few additions. The population in 1940 was 1,328 and grew to over 12,000 in 1962. Growth continued over the years to over 30,935 in the year 2000. In 1996, Metra added Mundelein to their North Central Service line route.
Mundelein Trivia & Fun Facts
On 4-21-67 and 9-28-72 category 4 tornadoes hit within 10 miles of the center of Mundelein city center. They both caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Elevation is 754 feet.
Ancestries: German (22.5%), Irish (13.7%), Polish (10.6%), Italian (7.4%), English (6.0%), United States (2.8%)