The Town Of East Dundee, Illinois
The Village of East Dundee is a charming town along the shores of the Fox River in Kane County. Located 40 miles from downtown Chicago, it offers every convenience for its residents, from shopping and activities to easy commuting to the surrounding areas on Interstate 90. Metra train service is located south of East Dundee in Elgin. O’Hare International Airport is a quick 28-mile drive, and Midway Airport is 43 miles from East Dundee. The historic district along the river and the stores on Main Street make up the commercial part of the village.
The Park District offers many activities including a recreational and fitness center housing racquetball courts, day care, indoor pool, basketball courts, and an indoor track. In addition, the village has two 18-hole golf courses, a Senior Center, two outdoor pools, the Dolphin Cove Family Aquatic Center, and a petting zoo. Parks, athletic fields, playgrounds, and natural woodlands complete the picture. A few of the annual popular activities in town are the Heritage Fest, the Farmers Market, and Dickens in Dundee.
The development of East Dundee has been slow due to lack of land. The river is a barrier on the west side of town, and Hoffman Estates sits directly east. Early referendums in 1956 and 1962 failed to unite East Dundee and West Dundee, preventing East Dundee from reaping the benefits of the Spring Hill Mall to the west. Although expansion has been limited, local industry and commerce have grown through the 1980’s and 1990’s. The Dundee area was a contender in 2005 for the CNNMoney.com Best Places to Life in Illinois and Best Places to Retire in Illinois. The Village is continuing to identify sustainable development opportunities for the benefit of its existing and future residents, businesses, and visitors.
East Dundee History
“The Potowattomie Indians sold this land to Illinois in 1835. The first settlers arrived in the area in 1834. Jesse Newman, his wife, and Joseph Russell built a cabin along the east bank of the Fox River to prospect. They stayed only a short time, staked their claim, and returned a year later. By 1840, almost all of the land was settled. Settlers on the west side of the river had the honor of naming the town. The areas on both the east and west sides were named Dundee, after the town in Scotland.
East Dundee was platted in 1837 for Thomas Deweese, who laid claim to a large part of the area. Unaware of these claims, other settlers were forced to pay him or move out. Mr. Deweese built a gristmill and installed the first bridge over the Fox River. In the 1850’s, a group of Lutheran Germans moved into the area, built a church, and practiced their own traditions. Their activities set them apart from their neighbors to the west, who were largely Scottish.
A benefit of living along a riverbank was the abundance of clay which was used to start a brickyard business in 1852. D.H. Haeger became one of the owners of the business in 1871, the same year the village was incorporated. Shortly after he became the sole owner and extended the business to include tile. After the Chicago Fire in 1871, bricks were shipped into the city to help rebuild. In the 1920’s, the brickyard started to produce pottery, including dishes, crystal and glassware. Haeger is still in business today, attracting many shoppers to its factory store”
East Dundee Trivia & Fun Facts
“Median household income in East Dundee is above state average.
Median house value is above state average.
Unemployed percentage is below state average.
East Dundee was a filming location for the 2002 movie, “Road to Perdition”.
The Milk Pail Restaurant and Entertainment Complex on Route 25 was once the site of Max McGraw’s (McGraw Edison Electric Co.) private hunting and fishing club.”