The Town Of Bloomingdale, Illinois
The Village of Bloomingdale is conveniently located 25 miles west of Chicago in DuPage County and has a current population of over 24,000 residents. Its strong industrial and commercial growth supports the growing residential developments and park lands in its eight square miles. Good management of this growth along with excellent services provides residents with a desirable quality of life.
The Bloomingdale Park District oversees 11 parks and other recreational facilities. Residents enjoy the Oasis water park along with facilities for fishing, ice skating, sledding, baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, and volleyball. The Park District also provides a full schedule of programs and special events for the youth and adult population. Another choice for recreation is golfing at the Bloomingdale Golf Club.
A wide variety of shopping is available to residents including the Stratford Square Mall and Old Town Bloomingdale. Metra Commuter Train Service is available in neighboring towns. O’Hare International Airport is a short, 13-mile trip and Midway International Airport is a 26 mile drive. Private aircraft is served by Schaumburg Regional Airport.
Investment in the community by businesses and residents has produced a town where people can enjoy a very comfortable life. The fact that Bloomingdale was a contender in 1995 for the list of Best Places to Life in Illinois by CNNMoney.com, proves that the village has what it takes to be a top-rated community.
“Settlers began to arrive in the Bloomingdale area around 1833 looking for land to farm and raise their families. Brothers Lyman, Harvey, and Silas Meacham all staked squatter claims near a grove that later bore their name and was eventually called Bloomingdale Township. More settlers came and formed a thriving agricultural community. Roadways developed a few years later becoming the route known as the Chicago to Galena Highway. Today this is known as Route 20 (Lake Street).
Bloomingdale was established as a village in 1839, and in 1849 Bloomington Township was organized. Along with farming, residential and industrial growth developed thanks to the arrival of the railroad in the 1870’s. Original boundaries of the Township included the village of Roselle. In 1922 it was voted to separate the area into two separate villages. On June 16, 1923 Bloomingdale was incorporated as its own village. The first phone service was brought to the area in 1891 by the Chicago Telephone Co., and electricity came in 1924. With the advent of these services, the next few years saw considerable growth as residents and businesses were able to avail themselves of these services.”
Bloomingdale Trivia & Fun Facts
“The major ancestry groups in Bloomingdale are German, Italian, and Irish.
The first school was taught by Miss Experience Gifford in 1840 in a log house.
Miss Ann Meacham was the first white child born in Bloomingdale Township.”